Cwmtwrch (Valley of the Wild Boar) is a long winding village following the river valley in a north westerly direction towards the Black Mountain. It derives from the 'Twrch Trwyth' a mythical wild boar of King Arthur's legends and the ancient Welsh folklore tales of the 'Mabinogion'. Cwmtwrch has been split into two parts, Upper Cwmtwrch (Cwmtwrch Uchaf) and Lower Cwmtwrch (Cwmtwrch Isaf) due to the traversing of the now defunct railway line and the road (A 4068) at two points requiring an upper and lower gate. The Upper and Lower label is usually the source of humorous comment given the size and population of the village. Cwmtwrch railway station was called Gwys (opened in 1868 and closed in 1950). It was located near present day Welfare Hall in Upper Cwmtwrch.