The commemorating of the opening of the refurbished Daniel Protheroe Memorial Park took place at 3.15pm on Saturday 1st July 2017.
Daniel Protheroe began his vocal career in Ystradgynlais and won first prize at the National Eisteddfod in 1880 and 1881.
After emigrating to the United States in 1886, he gained great fame on both sides of the Atlantic as a conductor, educator and composer, renowned for over 1500 compositions.
The unveiling of a commemorative plaque had originally taken place in August 1954 erected above the front door of 6 Gough Buildings the birthplace of Daniel Protheroe. Following the demolition of the properties in the 1970’s the area was grassed over to form the park.
The refurbishment project led by the Ystradgynlais Heritage Society in conjunction with the Town Council as the new landowner included the rebuilding of the landscaped area and construction of a central feature to which is attached four plaques outlining the lives of locally born musicians, composers, ministers and poet :– Daniel Protheroe 1866 – 1934 ( Composer and Conductor) ;Thomas Levi 1825-1916 (Minister and Publisher) ; William Leyshon Griffiths 1863-1925 ( Minister and Poet) and John Thomas Rees ( 1857-1949 Composer and Conductor) .
The unveiling of the central memorial was undertaken by Mrs. Hannah Protheroe Griffiths a great niece of Daniel Protheroe .
The Voices of the Valley Choir from Valley View High School , Scranton USA sang the American national anthem and hymns associated with Daniel Protheroe together with support from Cor Dathlu and Cor y Gyrlais.